Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sunrise View retirement Villa

Sunrise View Retirement Villa is an independent, assisted, and convalescent facility located south of downtown Everett. The resident apartments are set or comfort, convenience, and safety. All apartments are wired for TV and telephone, bed linens and towels are changed by housekeeping, and emergency call buttons are placed in living and bathing areas. Meals are prepared three times daily along with snacks that are served in the dining area by wait staff. Activities are planned all day long and include shopping, planned outings, music performances, exercise classes, and much more. (www.careoptions.info/sunriseview.com)

The population is quite diverse. One hundred and eleven residents reside at Sunrise View. Sixty-eight live on the independent and assisted side, and the balance in the long term convalescent area. Ages vary from barely senior to one hundred and three years young. The females out number the males, which one female, resident stated, "The fishing is scarce, you must get to the pond early in the morning to catch one of these old fish."

On my first visit I was a little anxious, however once I arrived I no longer felt that way. As I walked in the lobby I was greeted by two ladies holding a bake sale. The smell of homemade cakes and cookies filled the air like sun on a summer day. I was quickly introduced to a group of residents who treated me like we had been friends for many years. I was invited to have a cup of tea and get to know them further. I met a retired math teacher of forty years. I watched his eyes lite up like stars when he spoke about teaching and numbers. I also met a gentleman who is the Romeo of the group. If you need a compliment he will be there to give you one! I was also warned he has a hard time keeping his hands to himself. I was scheduled for a two hour visit and ended up staying for roughly four and a half hours. When I was getting ready to leave, I realized I was already looking forward to my next visit.

There were many selections to choose our Service Learning sites. I selected Sunrise View due to the respect I have for my elders. The life experiences and knowledge the residents have to share could never be taught from a book. I have already been reminded the world is much more than what we make it to be. Sometimes the best thing we can share is ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie,
    I finally figured it out. :-) Great job on your post, sounds like you had a fantastic time with the elderly (some of my favorite people) I'm sure they loved your vivacious and kind personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written. I'm so glad that you've found a very worthwhile SL to share yourself with. Life has so many opportunities we all need to leave a seed and let it grow for the next generation. Surely, the wonderful seniors at Sunrise view are leaving their life's seed with you too. =) Will continue to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete