Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Greatest Thing we Can Give is Time.

Many people of the older generation are not formally educated. However, they have more knowledge to share with the younger generations that could ever be taught out of a book. In Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin many life lessons are taught to Mortenson by the village elder,Haji Ali. Although the village is located in Pakistan, and I am here in the U.S. I also am learning life lesson from the elders at Sunrise View Retirement Villa.

Mortenson states, "Haji Ali taught me the most important lesson I have learned in my life. We Americans think you have to accomplish everthing quickly. Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow down and make building relationships as important as building projects. He taught me I had more to learn from the people I work with than I could ever hope to teach them." (Mortenson 150...)

I have also learned some life lessons from the spunky ladies I have had the pleasure of working with at the retirement villa. I was told, "remember, life is what you allow it to be. If you allow sadness and madness in you life, that is what you will live."

Although The village of Korphe in Pakistan is many miles away from the retirement villa of Everett Washington, the lessons taught by two very wise elders will be remembered for a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your views. It always wise to listen to our wise elders, they've lived life's lessons, you think? =) What a great satisfaction going on with your SL, it shows in your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the way you write! it's very inspiring! i think you are a great match with the villa. My grandma was an LPN at a Villa in Issaquah and i used to go and help her. I was always so fascinated with the older folks. They always had the greatest stories and best hugs goodbye. I was always bugging my grandma to take me back! keep up the great work, jackie!

    Stacey:)

    ReplyDelete